Saturday, May 21, 2011

first days in Kenya...

I cannot even begin to describe the feelings that rushed through my veins as I stepped foot on African ground and it has been quite the adventure since that moment. The five of us were anxious as we navigated ourselves around the Nairobi airport, through customs, and onto the mounds of bags to claim our own. Through the crowds of unfamiliar faces we were so thrilled to see the faces of sweet S and M.

The first two nights we stayed in Nairobi at a place called Hampton House, which was very similar to a hotel (this is luxury compared to anything else we will be experiencing in our time here). During those two days we were exposed to the city of Nairobi, which is unlike any other conventional city you might think of. The traffic was insane, bumper to bumper, people constantly cutting each other off, and honking their horns...there were many times I was just holding on for dear life! All I have to say is that I'm glad that we had an experience Kenya driver :). We drove by Kibera, which is the largest slum in Africa! It was so heartbreaking to know that in that small area between 800,000 to a million Kenyan residents live in starvation, malnourishment, disease infestation…and most importantly, in dying need of a Savior, which provides hope and freedom from captivity. We also met with Paul who is a Pastor in Nairobi and who also heads up the WASH (Water and Sanitation Hygiene), which we will use to assist the people in the villages. Paul's passion and love for Christ and the people here was so encouraging to see.

The next morning came very early as we began our journey to Marsabit. Surprisingly, I could not get a wink of sleep for the entire ride there because I was so captivated by the breathtaking landscapes of Kenya. We went from the city to the green, lush farmlands to the countless mountains ranges to the dry, colorless desert. We were so excited when we finally saw a Zebra, which S later informed us was an endangered species Zebra and they are rarely spotted. When we finally arrived to the place where I will call "Home" for the next six weeks, the five of us piled out of the packed (literally bags surrounding every part of me) safari vehicle with huge smiles on our faces ready to be introduced to our new surroundings. We have two precious guard dogs at the house named Judah and Mkulu who have quickly become companions. Today, we went into the town of Marsabit with S to meet a few friends of his and of course they all welcomed us with open arms. We visited a few nearby villages to check on their water situations. It has been so interesting to learn that many of the problems the people here face could be easily solved if they would be willing to share and give freely. However, it is part of their culture to prize ownership (much like our own culture in America) and to keep it all for yourself and those closest to you. If a water well or “choo” (the African outhouse) is located on or near a family’s property, it is natural for them to claim it has their own and not allow others in the village to us it. S is trying to teach the people here that these resources are for the whole villages utilization. This fact is a strong indication that these people need the love of Christ, which would bring much resolution to the struggles that they face. Sorry this was kinda long and not too terribly interesting but I promise there is more to come! I also hope to get some pictures up at some point to share. Please continue to keep me, my team, S and M, as well as the people who we will encounter in your prayers. I look forward to sharing what the Lord will be teaching me through this experience. Love you all!

“And also for me, that words may be given to me in the opening my mouth BOLDLY to PROCLAIM the mystery of the gospel. For I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak!”
Ephesians 6:19-20

1 comment: